This is probably the best recipe for mulled wine. The spices and the clementine really make a difference. And don’t save money by buying a cheap wine.
The best mulled wine for those long winter evenings
- 750 ml bottle of red wine I always use a Merlot
- 1 clementine or orange sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 dried figs
- 4 cloves
- 3 allspice or black peppercorns
- 50 ml brandy I use Don Carlos I
- Pour the red wine into a large saucepan and add all the ingredients except the brandy.
- Heat very carefully until simmering, never heat mulled wine above 80 °C as the alcohol contained in the mulled wine evaporates from 78 °C.
- Remove the spices and add the brandy.
- Ladle into mugs or heat-resistant glasses.
Mulled wine also makes a great Christmas gift! Pour into sterilised bottles and bottle away.
Calories: 873kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 2gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.2gSodium: 37mgPotassium: 1302mgFiber: 6gSugar: 23gVitamin A: 34IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 171mgIron: 5mg